2. Information collected and how it is used
2.1 MediaCore may collect the following types of information:
- Information Client provides – When a user signs up for a MediaCore Account, MediaCore asks for personal information. Any personal information about a user requested by MediaCore in connection with establishing a MediaCore Account will be held in confidence by MediaCore and will not be shared with others unless the appropriate permission from the user are obtained. Any personal information or video content that is not asked for and is subsequently and voluntarily disclosed online (e.g., video comments, a profile page) may be collected and used by others.
- Log information – When a user accesses MediaCore Services via a browser, application or other client, MediaCore’s servers automatically record certain information. These server logs may include information such as the user’s web request, the user’s interaction with a service, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of the user’s request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify the user’s browser or the user’s account.
- User communications – When a user sends email or other communications to MediaCore, MediaCore may retain those communications in order to process the user’s inquiries, respond to user requests and improve MediaCore’s services. MediaCore may use the user’s email address to communicate with the user about MediaCore’s services.
- Usage – When accessing the Services, MediaCore may record information about usage of the site, such as the channels, groups and favorites the user subscribes to, which other users are communicated with, the videos watched, the frequency and size of data transfers, and information displayed about a user as well as information clicked on in the Services (including UI elements, settings). If a user is logged in, MediaCore may associate that information with the user’s MediaCore Account. This is done explicitly and exclusively to improve the quality of the Service to Client.
2.2 In addition to the above, MediaCore may use the information collected to: (i) provide, maintain, protect, improve MediaCore’s services (including advertising services), develop new services, and to process any flagging activity or other communication sent to MediaCore; (ii) protect the rights or property of MediaCore or its users. If MediaCore uses this information in a manner different than the purpose for which it was collected, then MediaCore will be required to obtain permission prior to such use.
2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the Order Form, the data from the Services will be hosted and/or stored inside of the United States of America.
2.4 MediaCore does not use a user’s email address or other personal information to send commercial or marketing messages without the user’s consent. MediaCore may use an email address without further consent for non-marketing or administrative purposes (such as notifying a user of major MediaCore changes or for customer service purposes).
3. Information sharing
3.1 MediaCore only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of MediaCore in the following limited circumstances:
- MediaCore has a user’s consent. MediaCore requires opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information;
- A law enforcement agency duly investigating a complaint of unlawful activity provided the law enforcement agency provides notice of their right to collect the requested information under applicable privacy laws including the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of Alberta;
- A law enforcement agency if MediaCore believes that the Client has knowingly and fraudulently supplied MediaCore with false or misleading information that may harm the interests of MediaCore;
- A law enforcement agency if MediaCore has reason to believe that the Client is involved in unlawful activities; or
- A public authority or agent of a public authority if, in MediaCore’s reasonable judgement, it appears that there is imminent danger to life or property which could be avoided or minimized by disclosure of the information.
4. Information security
4.1 MediaCore takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of MediaCore’s data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, including appropriate encryption and physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where MediaCore stores personal data.
4.2 MediaCore restricts access to personal information to MediaCore employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it on MediaCore’s behalf. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
4.3 Although MediaCore works hard to protect personal information that MediaCore collects and stores, no program is one hundred percent secure and MediaCore cannot guarantee that its safeguards will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use or disclose personal information. If a user becomes aware of a security issue, please email MediaCore at email@example.com. MediaCore will work with a user to address any problems.
5. Accessing and updating personal information
5.1 When a user uses MediaCore Services, MediaCore makes good faith efforts to provide a user with access to their personal information and either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at a user’s request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes.
5.2 MediaCore asks individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and MediaCore may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes), or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case where MediaCore provides information access and correction, MediaCore performs this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort. Because of the way MediaCore maintain certain services, after a user deletes their information, residual copies may take a period of time before they are deleted from MediaCore’s active servers and may remain in MediaCore’s backup systems for up to 14 days. This paragraph only applies to individual requests from users.